Immune Boosting and Puppy Care Naturally
Our puppies are fully immunized using oral immunizations we get from Australia. We use these because of the phenomenal results we get and they have none of the dangerous side-effects associated with injection versions. They are so safe that they can be started when the puppies are just four weeks old, and they are so effective that it has been clinically shown to be no need for boosters thereafter. Before and after immunizations, a puppy’s immune system is in need of attention, support and maintenance. A healthy immune system in a puppy is the beginning of a long, healthy life. Dr. Belfield, a veterinary doctor and pioneer in promoting wholesome foods, vitamins and minerals for pets said it best:
“The idea is to use supplements to prevent and minimize disease and infections and to develop a strong immune system. The goal of the plan is the creation of optimal health.”
–Wendell Belfield, D.V.M
Popular Immune Health Pet Care Formulas
Natural Flea and Tick Spray
In 12 oz purified water, we add the following essential oils:
- 6 drops each of of peppermint, cinnamon, and clove oils, 4 drops each of cedar and rosemary oils, and
- 4 drops of eugenol (from clove plants) oil. During flea and tick season we spray this on our dogs morning and evening.
Flea Deterrent for the Yard
We make the above spray in a more concentrated form for our yard.
- We start with 24 oz of purified water and add:
- 16 drops each of of peppermint, cinnamon, and clove oils
- 14 drops each of cedar and rosemary oils
- 14 drops of eugenol (from clove plants) oil.
This is sprayed around the edge of the house, near doorways, around the edge of the deck, and where the dogs like to lay in the yard.
Flea Deterrent for your Home
Start writing or type / to choose a block
- For our dogs, If I suspect they have fleas, I will add a cup of salt to their bath water and let them soak in it for 10 minutes. It doesn’t hurt the dogs, and is fine if they drink some of the water, but the fleas, mites, ticks and other creepy crawly things will die.
- We love salt. Its nontoxic, safe for pets, babies, and our home. This is sprinkled on our rugs, carpets, and in the dog’s beds. I do this once avery five weeks during flea season. Except for their beds, I only have to do repeat that if I wash their beds. Each time I put it on the floors I leave it for 4 days to get both live fleas and the hatchlings. The dogs don’t seem to mind at all, and I can easily vaccum it up when I think it’s done the job. I also put salt on the rug just outside the door that the dogs often lay on, as well as all around the outside perimeter of the house to discourage fleas from coming close.
- Raw, organic apple cider vinegar is another tool we have for eliminating fleas. As part of my morning routine, I mix 2 ounces of the AC vinegar in 8 ounces of purified water and lightlyspray the dogs, their beds, house rugs and carpets a couple times a day. The smell does go away after a few hours 🙂 This diluted solution can also be added to their rinse water after a salt-water bath, to ensure the vinegar gets deep in their hair and helps protect them for several days.
Allergies and Sensitivities
“Just by supplementing vitamin C, E and pantothenic acid (B-5), which are essential in the production of the adrenal hormone cortisone, allergies may be prevented or at the very least, reduced. These … act as an anti-inflammatory and antihistamine agents.” –Wendell Belfield, D.V.M
- To prevent these, we add vitamin C, E, pantothenic acid (B-5), and a probiotic supplement to their food once weekly.
- In addition to this, they get plenty of raw, organic meat.
Healthy, Strong Bladders
- Cornsilk powder can be added to food to support a healthier bladder that is more able to retain urine.
- Cantharis is the remedy we like for bladder irritation.
Deworming in General
- Garlic is added to their meat on a regular basis to discourage worms
- For de-worming, we use WRM Clear by HomeoPet. We add this and the remedy Antimonium tart 12x to their clean drinking water three days each Spring and Fall to support their body in the natural elimination of worms. It has been very effective!
Heart Support and Deworming
- Hawthorn berry capsules is our go-to supplement for a healthy heart
- Our favorite remedy for heart worms is Antimonium tartaricum 12x.
- To be more thorough, we combine this with the WRM Clear remedy from HomeoPet, and give it to them in their water. No need to do it more often.
Tooth Cleaning and Development
- Raw, organic bones
- We brush teeth with baking soda and calcium powder
Bone and Joint Health
“Hip dysplasia is a loose joint problem.” Dr. Belfield
- We regularly give our dogs raw, organic bones to chew and sometimes devour
- Extra vitamin C added to their food to support collagen formation.
- Lots of raw, organic meat
- Hypericum is our remedy for minor injuries. We love the results we get using it
- Arnica montana is what we go to for deeper wounds and bone injuries
- Phosphorus is what I like for bleeding. Its nickname is the “bleeding remedy”
Whelping / Birthing
We like to support our birthing momma’s as much as we can through the birth process, so we give them a combination of Arnica, Hypericum, and Symphytum 30c during and again after the birth of the puppies.
- Rescue Sleep flower essence combination, by Dr. Bach
- We also like Travel Anxiety from HomeoPet, Co.
- Thunder jackets (online) seem to help too.
- During tick season we supplement our dogs’ diets with the following in order to support their body in killing off the parasites they might have gotten from ticks.
- Vitamins A, C, E, B complex, and Spirokete
- We love the herb Goldenseal for use on all bites that break the skin.
- For bites that cause a good amount of swelling we use the remedy Ledum.
- Our first go-to remedies for a bite are Arnica, Hypericum and Lyssin.
Insect Bites and Stings
- We love Goldenseal for this too. I like how it can help draw out venom.
- My second choice is raw apple cider vinegar for helping neutralize venom.
- We have also used a paste made of charcoal and water to draw out venom.
- Our favorite remedies are Apis, Arnica, Calendula, and Ledum.