When I was taking classes in Chinese herbology, the teacher stressed the necessity of taking minerals to support the body in naturally warding off parasite infestation. Come to find out, parasites, especially worms, hate minerals. But the body loves them. Good to know, I thought. I decided to test this out when my kids were young. One Spring I did a worm detox program for the whole family. Everyone got a recommended dose of colloidal minerals with their meals. That’s easy enough I thought. Few complaints. It worked so well that I was a little shocked. Who knew? I had to keep telling myself …and the kids, “it’s better they are out then in, right?!”
On the topic of the dogs’ hearts, Martin Zucker, DVM, says “Many dogs grow old before their time with weakening hearts.” He quotes Robert Goldstein, VMD as stating “The problem has become increasingly prevalent at younger ages. Seven or eight is not uncommon.” He explains that he believes the trend is “largely due to poor-quality nutrition, unnecessary vaccines, and exposure to environmental and chemical pollutants.”
What about heartworm disease?
Dr. Zucker says there are a number of tests your veterinarian can do to check for the presence of heartworms. What you choose to do with that information is up to you. When our collies got heartworm all of those years ago I didn’t know about supplements for dogs, only people. Nor did I even think for a moment about kibble being an insufficient “food” for them. Praise God, I know better now. What we did for our collies when they got heartworms was a homeopathic remedy to support their body in knowing to eliminate the worms and for us it worked quickly. No more heartworms, and they had antibodies to prevent more in the future.
We have different dogs (poodles and doodles) now and I do both prevention and occassional deworming with homeopathic remedies. I want my dogs protected on both angles. In holistic veterinarian books, they suggest you give the desired homeopathic remedy several times a day for 5-7 days, to help the dog’s body know to kill off worms that are present. Then you give the remedy 1-2 times monthly for a year. After a year, you reduce it to one to two times a year.
The nice thing about homeopathy and the use of minerals as a supplement to the diet, is that it is a win-win. Many of them are now made for dogs specifically so they are easy to give, and they support optimum health. The only downfall is finding a veterinarian who knows about nutrition and homeopathy in your own city.
However, there are a number of books by veterinarians who have turned to a more natural, healthy way of caring for animals (see list below). If you feel you need a vet to guide you in this direction, I would start by looking online for one. There are a number of good, knowledgeable veterinarians that will work with you over the internet and skyping. They can even order blood tests from a local vet office for your dog and have it sent to them. One thing I did at the recommendation of a friend, was subscribing to the online Dogs Naturally Magazine.
Here is a list of support I have found in books and online:
- Diatomaceous earth, food grade in pen and play areas.
- Extra minerals added to water and/or food to support the body in the natural elimination of worms.
- Deworming products from www.wolfcreekranch.net or other reputable animal supply store
- Homeopet WRM Clear homeopathic drops
- Dog dewormer combination formula, generally considered safe for puppies, that you can make yourself: Purchase health food store quality extracts for best quality and effectiveness: Crampbark, Wild yam, Dill weed, Cloves, Rosemary leaf, Colloidal silver, and purified water.
- General canine parasites and worm dietary supplements: Raw eggs, organic grass (they eat as needed as long as they have access), dill seed, rosemary, clove, spirulina
- Spikenard extract has been used for worms following the rabies, parvo, and lymes vaccines
- Raw, organic farm fresh eggs have been used for tapeworm, liver flukes, and the worms following the distemper vaccine
- Gravel root extract has been used for the worms from the rabies vaccine, and parvo vaccine
- Allow dogs to eat organic (non-sprayed) grass, as this is a natural dewormer
- Multi-glandular supplement to support normal function of the organs and glands
- Consider getting titers on dog before revaccinating